Review: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Monday 2 May 2016

The Star-Touched Queen | Roshani Chokshi | Published April 26th, 2016
Rating:
Goodreads | Book Depository


I had a really hard time with this book. The glowing reviews persuaded me to carry on in the hope that it would eventually fall into place for me but it just fell so flat. I found the world to be confusing, the main character annoying and the romance lacking. The best thing about The Star-Touched Queen is a talking horse and sadly she isn't even in the story enough to really make a difference.

The writing is beautiful at times but I honestly had a difficult time following it. It feels like there is a tendency for over-description and a lot of the time I just wanted to have things told to me straight without the flowery prose. It was tedious and I had to fight the urge to skip segments.

The main character, Maya, really doesn't stand out for me in any way. She is shunned by everyone for having a dark horoscope and so her life is quite lonely. Her father then forces her into an arranged marriage and he expects her to take poison once the marriage is complete in the name of saving her kingdom. This is how the book starts and I thought, great, she'll have to come up with a feisty plan here to save herself. Instead, a random guy turns up, rescues her and she spends the rest of the book barely thinking for herself, being stupid and obsessing over her rescuer who, you guessed it, is the love of her life.

The romance was boring. It is a prime example of insta-love and I just didn't care for it. The plot was hard to follow to the point where I'm still not completely sure what was going on a lot of the time and most of the characters felt very one-dimensional. There are some interesting ideas and a couple of likeable minor characters but they weren't enough to salvage this story for me.

What are your favourite books based on mythology? I'd love some recommendations!


Follow me:
g

4 comments:

  1. Oh, boo. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. I actually just won it in a giveaway so I'm curious to find out what I'll think of it. There's a talking horse? That's awesome. Sometimes I have a hard time with overly flowery prose. It really depends on the book for me. There are a few times where it's just too much and I just want the story told to me straight, but then sometimes it can be so beautiful. I wish I could recommend you some books based on mythology, but I haven't found any yet that I loved. I read The Goddess Test last year, which I enjoyed, but the rest of the series fell flat. Lovely review! :D

    Sarah | Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it better than I did! I've seen lots of positive reviews so there is still hope! Haha. The talking horse was great and so unexpected! I know what you mean, I think flowery prose works so well sometimes and really adds something special to the story but sometimes, like here, it is just too much. I've seen The Goddess Test around actually so might have another look! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow this is the third bad review for this book I've read today alone! Now I'm certain I don't want to read this book at all. Great review!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, really? I keep seeing good reviews! It must be dividing opinions more than I thought so I'm glad it's not just me! Thanks! :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS