3 Reasons I Loved The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

Thursday 4 February 2016

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
Publishing Date: February 2015
Rating:
Goodreads | Book Depository
I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous as the queen's, some truths should not be told...



Well, this little gem of a book has me SO excited. In fact, I haven't been this excited about a book since I read Throne of Glass of last year.

You know when you find a book that you just click with? You love everything about it and it just excites you? This book did that for me. It played with my emotions in the absolute best way.

The romance
Okay, let me start off by saying that this book has a bit of a love triangle. I can already hear the groaning from those of you that dislike them but I don't mind them! A really good, intense, love triangle is something that I really enjoy in a book. In The Sin Eater's Daughter, our main character is Tywlla who is the "Daunen Embodied" and lives with the royal family as their executioner. She has poison running through her veins and can't be touched by anyone other than the royal family. She is also betrothed to Prince Merek. Tywlla has a loyal fatherly-figure guard but other guards are too frightened to guard her for long. Then comes along Lief, her new guard, who isn't scared of her, treats her nicely and seems to see past her role as Daunen Embodied. As Twylla develops feelings for one, learns shocking truths about the world she lives in and battles an evil-bitch queen (seriously, the queen is one of those brutal villains that you love to hate) she has to decide what she really wants and not simply what the right thing to do is.  I don't want to spoil anything as the romance was my favourite part of the book (and I liked not knowing what was going to happen) but if there's one thing I learned: don't. trust. anyone.

 
yeah right.

The Setting / World-Building
I'm already a fan of royal settings and this one was no exception. The story takes place in the royal castle and its surrounding grounds but the entire kingdom is also well-developed as we learn more about its operations and its history as we go throughout the book. I didn't feel like there was a lot of info-dumping as it was presented to us in enjoyable ways. For example, Twylla's mother is the kingdom's sin-eater and we are given information about that as Tywlla reflects on her past and her time with her mother before moving to the castle. (I would love to know more about that too though as it seems really interesting). It was intriguing to know the ways the different areas of the kingdom relate to gods and how they each have differing beliefs and cultures. I'm looking forward to the other areas possibly being explored in more detail as the series continues. There's also a note at the end about the Victorian language of flowers and to re-read the scenes with flowers if you know anything about that. I love extra layers like that and am going to have to run to Google for information.

The Twists & Turns
There are a lot of twists and turns that kept me utterly gripped to this book. Some of them I saw coming and some of them.. well, one in particular... I just could not believe it. It's not often that I really don't see a twist coming but this one completely took me by surprise. I was fooled and I felt so foolish for not seeing it before. I hated it yet I also kinda loved it because Melinda Salisbury was able to hide it from me by making me think something else. We end on a cliffhanger but we also have a nice epilogue which ends in a hopeful manner so it's not too evil.

So, in case you can't tell, I loved this book and I'm going to devour the sequel as quickly as I can.

Have you read this book? Were you shocked by that final twist too? I feel your pain!

Follow me:
g

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I loved this one too! i need book two now!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! <3 I've just started book two and so far I'm enjoying it :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS