Two DNF Mini Reviews: Hunter & Spinning Starlight

Tuesday 6 October 2015

I try to finish books that I start (especially review copies) but there have been a couple lately that I have just had to give up on. It's not necessarily that they were terrible, just that they weren't working for me.

Title: Hunter
Author: Mercedes Lackey
Publication Date: September 1st, 2015
Rating: DNF
Goodreads | Book Depository
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

The blurb for Hunter is exactly the type of book that I love. I can't resist a good dystopian and I'm always seeking them out.

Unfortunately I just couldn't connect with this one. I didn't like Joyeaux's narration; she was slightly annoying, came across as quite arrogant and I just couldn't warm to her.

There is also a lot of info-dumping which was quite tiring to fight through. I get that with a brand new world there needs to be explanation but Joyeaux just went off on random tangents to tell us things from the past and it was really tedious.

The blurb still intrigues me and I might give it another go in the future but for now it just couldn't hold my interest.


Title: Spinning Starlight
Author: R.C. Lewis
Publication Date: October 6th, 2015
Rating: DNF
Goodreads | Book Depository
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

Spinning Starlight started off strong in some respects. I liked Liddi and was intrigued by the world's technology (vid-cams that fly around recording things; basically a hands-free form of paparazzi which was pretty cool) but the word building was lacking otherwise. I couldn't picture the "planet" that she lived on or the other places that you can travel to via portals. I don't really know what makes this universe interesting or how they operate.

The villain of the story implants a device in Liddi's throat which will kill her brothers if she speaks. The problem with that is that it is extremely frustrating reading about a character who can't speak to explain the situation or write it down because writing has been eradicated from her universe. I just couldn't read any more of her attempts at trying to get the message across without actually saying anything in case her brothers were harmed. I mean, it's completely understandable that she had to be careful but as a reader I was bored and frustrated.

If you're a big sci-fi fan and you're willing to fight though that frustration then you might enjoy this book. It just wasn't for me.

Have you read either of these books? Did you enjoy them? Am I insane for not finishing them? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS