Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: August, 2012
Goodreads | Book Depository
Since I'm so late to the Throne of Glass party everything that can be said in a review has most likely already been said. So I decided to do a list review instead! Below you'll find my random thoughts during reading as I try to figure out the plot and whether I prefer Dorian or Chaol.
Thoughts Before Reading:
- I'm SO excited to finally be boarding this hype train. I've heard so many amazing things about this series and everyone seems to love it so I'm really looking forward to finding out for myself!
- Ahhh there's a map! I love it when there are maps. <3
- Wait... is there a pronunciation guide online anywhere? ... YES! *bookmarks* (You can find it here if you need help pronouncing the fancy names too)
- Celaena has been captured and is on her way to see the Crown Prince. I wonder what he's like? Is he going to be a good guy or a bad guy?
- So the Captain of the Guard and the Crown Prince are both young and attractive. Is this the beginning of a beautiful love triangle? I do hope so. (I know, I know, I like love triangles, don't hate me).
- Interesting proposal: a competition to be the king's champion and a promise of freedom. Very Hunger Games-ish. I love the royal setting though. I can't resist a good royal setting.
- Ohhh and here we have our villain: The King of Adarlan. I'm hoping he's an evil, ruthless villain. They're the best kind.
- I just noticed that Celaena is barefoot on the cover... Did anyone else not notice that right away?
- Celaena is spending a lot of time fawning over her new dresses, her appearance and getting attention from Dorian and Chaol. What's going on here? Are we going to get to see her brutal assassin side? I hope so.
- On a more positive note, I'm really impressed with the world-building. I can really picture the glass castle; both its exterior and interior. I feel really immersed in the world.
- Who is doing all of this mauling and dismembering of the potential champions? I'm guessing that this is the beginning of the magical element being explored in more detail. Is it one of the other champions, someone from the royal court or a supernatural being? I'm intrigued.
- Oh how I love both Dorian and Chaol. How am I supposed to choose?!
- A secret tomb and the appearance of the ghost of Queen Elena... interesting. I'm fascinated by the magic and the supernatural elements going on but I do prefer the royal scenes. That's only because anything royal is my thing though.
- I like Nehemia and I don't think she's up to anything malicious. Hopefully she's planning some kind of attack against the king and planning ultimate revenge.
- Cain is nasty! Chaol did the right thing and I think I might love him even more now. I hope there aren't any bad repercussions for him. Dorian needs to stand up for him.
- The ending... this love triangle is far from over and I'm totally okay with that because I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know why Celaena made that decision but it seems like she's just left one for the other.
It's safe to say that I'm a fan! I found it a little irksome at the beginning that Celaena was heavily focused on her appearance and getting the men to like her but I grew to like her. I enjoyed her strong moments and her sense of humour. I'm also really impressed with the world-building. I like that the characters enjoy books and reading and can hold conversations about them. The romance was probably my favourite part. Dorian is the obvious choice; the Prince Charming figure but with intelligence and the ability to overthrow his father and make the country better. Chaol is loyal, trustworthy, protective and shy. He's so cute! Ultimately they are both charming in their own ways and I could see either of them with Celaena. I can't make a decision! I can't pick one over the other. I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens!
"Libraries were full of ideas - perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons."